Bright Copper Kettles



 
A few years ago, I invested a little bit of money into what I thought would be my (very) small side business. It's not a long story or a good one because it failed. I have always enjoyed the idea of crafting and owning a small business, which has lead to a lot of starts and stops projects throughout my life. Having always failed to make anything I have decided a better use of my time is to share other things that people have (successfully) made. A cozy knit afghan, recycled sweaters turned into warm mittens, handmade paper lanterns in the shape of stars; what I have realized is that I don't enjoy crafting, I enjoy the benefits of  others' crafting. 

Another self discovery is that I love meandering around a small business shop or boutique. The feeling of not knowing what I will find, but that I may find something that will soon be my new favorite thing, brings me joy. I appreciate the time and creativity that it takes to merchandise a space to depict a home that anyone would want to live in, enhanced by the little crafts and favorite things that are for sale. Not only do I love finding these little treasures, but I LOVE sharing what I have found, and that is what this blog is all about, Charlie Brown.  For those of you who love to give the perfect gift, but don't love the time it takes to find that gift, I give you the gift of my favorite things. An ongoing, and ever-growing list of locally discovered gems that will delight anyone on your holiday or birthday (or whatever the reason) list. 

In the spirit of the upcoming holidays and that small businesses need us more than ever, here are some of my most recent holiday purchases from some of my favorite local shops.

 Sweet Cecily in Middlebury, Vermont

Photo Credit: Sweet Cecily Facebook Page

Sweet Cecily is located in the heart of downtown Middlebury, Vermont. This small shop is like Mary Poppins' suitcase, just when you think you have seen it all, you discover more! While I could have purchased nearly everything in this cozy little shop, I fell in love with these sweet paper stars strung together on shiny gold garland ($8.99). These would make the perfect addition to any stocking, but I also can see them being the final touch on a wrapped gift in place of a bow.

How cute is this kids apron? This apron set is crafted with these sweet little pockets for junior chefs to tuck away all of their pint-sized cook's tools. Shown in the photo is a mini rubber spatula, rolling pin, whisk, and second spatula that come with the purchase of the apron. For just under $13 this darling apron set is a deal and guaranteed to enhance many family baking traditions. Cookies anyone?

Malabar in Vergennes, Vermont 

Photo Credit: Malabar Facebook Page 
Located on Main street in Vergennes, Vermont, Malabar is one of those shops where you wish you could afford to buy everything in it. While your bank account might not be able to support a shopping spree at Malabar, that shouldn't stop you from enjoying a stroll through this quaint space and treating yourself  to some of the splendid gems you will find there.
Decorative pillow purchased at their annual summer sale
Malabar has things for every room and person in your household, and I take several laps around the store when I am there. Shop-able items can be easy to overlook because of how much the store looks like a home. You should expect to leave the store feeling very inspired and a bit envious of how beautiful they make everything appear. 

It is worth mentioning that this shop smells as good as it looks, their selection of soaps and lotions would be a great gift for any hostess. Cleanliness is a gift we can all appreciate and not one you can necessarily put a price on.

Photo Credit: Malabar Facebook Page

In addition to the many possible hostess gifts and home decor, you might be surprised to find gifts for the tiny tots in your life. From puzzles to unique journals and pencil holders, there are plenty of things to keep the kids busy during the colder months. 

I can't say enough about the Maileg brand, and Malabar keeps a bookshelf stocked with the sweet little matchbox mice.



Sweet Charity, Vergennes, Vermont
Photo Credit: Sweet Charity Facebook Page
Do you love to buy a gift while also donating to a local charity? Look no further than Sweet Charity in Vergennes, Vermont. Located just up the road from Malabar, Sweet Charity uses its resources to empower women and children in need. While the items I have to share in this blog are one of a kind (this is a resale shop), you can find very similar things to the ones I was lucky enough to snatch up.

Having the perfect lighting in your home can increase the cozy-factor by a lot! This charming antique lamp was $35 and worth every shiny copper penny! I love blending new and old in my home, and this lamp indulges my love of oil lamps without the mess of the oil. The hooked handle adds character. What you can't see is how heavy this lamp is. Feeling the quality of this lamp explains how it has stood the test of time. A lot less expensive is this glass-based lamp I found high on the shelves of the shop. I couldn't believe that this lamp was only $12; it looked like something I could find in a Pottery Barn catalog (at a much higher price). Now that is a deal! If you love lamps as much as I do, or as much as my former coworker, Amy does (she had four lamps in an office that was the size of a coat closet), then hurry to Sweet Charity to find a lamp that lights up your life in the same way that these have lit up mine (no, that is not an exaggeration).

If lamps aren't your thing, that is cool, you can still enjoy this shop for it's selection of gently used furniture, glassware, books, toys, artwork, jewelry, and much more. The fun of visiting shops like Sweet Charity is the excitement of not knowing what you will find and how little the price tag is. I discovered a Nespresso Pixie for $20 (normally these little guys go for $200-$1000), and it was in perfectly good operating condition. Needless this say, this shop has it all and at a much lower price.

Linda's Apparel & The Men's Corner, Vergennes, Vermont

Photo Credit: Linda's Apparel Facebook Page
If you haven't figured it out by now, Vergennes is a great place to shop! Adding to the delight of shopping in the little city is Linda's Apparel and The Men's Corner located appropriately on the corner of Main street of Vergennes center. Both stores are in a shared space separated by a set of stairs that step down.

I can't say enough good things about this place, I have filled my families stockings for more than ten years with treasures found in these two stores, and it has quickly become my go-to shop for all birthdays. Speaking of birthdays, I have three nieces who already have everything making it nearly impossible to find anything for them. Just as I had given up all hope, I stumbled upon Skida brand items in Linda's a couple of years ago. Phew! While Linda's isn't the only store that carries this lovely Vermont-made brand, it has some of the best selections I have seen. Headbands, hats, and neck warmers are available in men's, women's, and children's, and come in all sorts of stunning colors and patterns. Not only can these headbands and hats brighten any drab winter wardrobe, but they also do keep your head and your ears toasty warm. If you're like me, it is easy to find something for yourself, so why not take advantage of their gift registry. That's right, the staff at Linda's and The Men's Corner will happily keep a (running) list for you, making holiday or birthday shopping that much easier for your spouse or family. 


Speaking of the great selection, do you love a good pair of socks as much as I do? I love the Darn Tough brand which Linda's carries. Be sure to check out their annual sock sale for an even better bargain!

As I prepare to wrap up this post and make plans for wrapping all of my new favorite things, I want to acknowledge all of the small businesses and the local craft makers who enhance our lives with their passion and hard work. As I wrote at the beginning of my post, I have failed so many times trying to do what they do every day. And while I am not a professional blogger, personal shopper, or an acclaimed critic of any kind, I hope that I have inspired you to think about your favorite things and consider sharing them with others. When the dog bites, when the bee stings (when a pandemic happens), I simply remember my favorite things, and then I don't feel so bad.

Happy November 2020, everyone.

Comments

Popular Posts